Leaf Expression Systems is an established contract development business specialising in the plant-based expression and production of proteins, metabolites and complex natural products for research and biomedical applications. We require a laboratory technician to provide a range of services in support of the company’s development and manufacturing activities.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
To work with other members of the Leaf team to ensure the smooth running of the facility by ensuring all support activities are carried out in a timely manner.
- Ensure stocks are maintained and make up solutions, buffers, media, and other reagents. Make sure that all activities are documented and SOP’s followed.
- To ensure that all activities associated with the growing of plants in preparation for infiltration are managed so that they meet future production demand. Support and perform the infiltration activities to provide stocks of material for the downstream purification group.
- Ensure that all glassware and laboratory equipment, is cleaned appropriately along with associated treatment using autoclaves etc.
- To oversee and manage the handling of any waste from the laboratories and growing areas so that it is treated appropriately and in line with company’s procedures and licenses.
Qualifications and Experience
Good general secondary level education, ideally including science subjects.
- Proficient use of standard Microsoft Office programmes.
- Previous experience or an interest in laboratory work and/or horticulture would be an advantage.
Skills and attributes
Must be a team player and work well with others. Able to express ideas clearly and confidently in speech and in writing.
- Self-starter/self-motivated. Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & be proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions.
- Working in a small team means that the planning and organising of tasks in the most efficient manner is critical.